Saturday, January 3, 2009

Like music to my ears

I had a chat with my dad recently. We were both in the car, with pop music playing on the radio. Then someone in the car asks, "Who sang this?".

Instead of replaying the conversation, I'm just going to do it my own way. In

Music is not music once you put a price on it. Because when you put a price on music and actively market it, you take the art out of it, instead replacing it with industrial blandness. For an artist must make art, not for the benefit of his well being(namely being rich and famous).

Then my dad thought of a way to respond, finally saying that these weren't artists, but craftsmen. A craftsman creates something inspired by greater forms of art and makes it marketable for the general public. Ever since the music industry made itself an industry, seeing the potential of selling music not as an art, but as a craft, it has made the mistake of glorifying the craftsmen by labeling them artists.

Nietzsche was right... once again. This language and all other human languages are based on old views and therefore cannot rightly be used to find actual meaning, because human languages are old, very old, and have given allowance for words to have more than one meaning. Which makes poetic art and written art much more beautiful and personable, but makes truth also harder to define. And therefore, a new, modern language must be made, where in saying the word 'God', the image of an old wizened man or anything like that. Words like 'mind' and 'soul' in this language give most people a very fixed image.

And therefore, it is imperative for a new language to be created solely for truth finding. Otherwise, a current language would need to be twisted into mystical stories which could just as easily as the meanings of the words themselves, be misinterpreted.

2 comments:

Gabs said...

I don't think too many people will warm to the idea, since truth is subjective to each individual.

Unknown said...

i actually don't expect them to. See, my idealistic views have nothing to do with people being perfect, or ideal enough to be able to think in just one way.

No.

In fact, I expect for 90% of anyone to read anything on this blog to go somewhere else after a minute(which makes you one of the few respectable ones, eh).

I like how the bell curve makes me feel a little smarter. I do not believe I am smart, but I think that there are enough stupid people on this earth to allow me in my current situation the opportunity to expand my mind.

See how I use small words?

Much respect