Saturday, December 13, 2008

life, pre life, principles of life.

Existentialist. I didn't know that there was such a simple word to describe a person like me. What's really surprising is that, once again, when I came across this word, and then wiki-ed it, it turns out Friedrich Nietzsche was one too! Incredible; I only found out about him 2 or 3 months back, and it turns out he'd been asking the same questions I ask, and living on the same twisted principles of nihilism as I am. It is as though he visited me in my sleep to teach me everything I believe in.

So let's talk about that for a moment. Principles, the meaning of life, what values should be admired, and which should be discarded.

Here, we bring in Socrates(not again!), because he brings reference to the soul more often than Nietzsche.

Socrates reasons that the honest man, bereft of the ability to exploit anything to his advantage(or more accurately, to another persons disadvantage) is the better man; as he has based his life on the purest and most respectable principles.

Nietzsche on the other hand, emphasizes on how these values (being humble, chiefly) aren't really values at all. You see (and I'm sorry to have caused offense), modern religions (post Judaism) began spreading at the lowest class of people; slaves and common men.

These were classes of people that didn't have that much to brag about really. So, it became custom for such values as being humble (for a slave must have this value), to be a basic principle in life. So, in truth, the humble man, if humble but without much to be humble about, is NOT a better man. Conversely, the pompous man, with much to his name*, is the better man.

*remember, the example of the pompous man must be a man who is ascended to a throne, not born to one.

I think, Nietzsche relies more on his ability to reason, without having to honour tradition or religion. Socrates on the other hand often attended traditional ceremonies and started off The Republic with the persona attending a ceremony.

Of coarse, before starting to ditch old ways of living, you need to understand why it is you are leaving it behind. Then ask yourself, were you ever free to choose? Freedom of choice is an illusion for most people. If you were born and raised to believe one way of living, then the choice has already been made for you has it not?

Breaking away from the illusion is the hard part. Understanding why freedom is never free is important too. The gay man is taunted and looked down upon. So is the Godless man. But why? Breaking traditional beliefs grants these people freedom most can never dream to have. Is that the reason for all that taunting? Jealousy? I never thought it would be that simple.

The man who believes he is doing Gods work here might just be a man who is subconsciously envious of the man who has given himself freedom of choice. I cannot find reason why the man on Gods side should do his work; for the almighty should be mighty enough to handle it on His own.

Since I've already moved on to another topic, I might as well start poking fun here.

Firstly, I strongly disagree with the statement
God is not the author of all things, but good only.

Socrates wasn't looking far back enough, and his concepts of God were much different.

The existence came before the essence. Think about that. I will elaborate when the time comes.

But now, think about this;

let's start with physics, since Neils Bohr thinks that all science is physics.

1)In a perfectly Godless world, will everything physical be possible?

As in, without a divine hand, would a planet have its own mass?
Yes it would, there's nothing divine about having mass, and so it can move too, without the help of a God.

With that settled,
2)In a perfectly Godless world, would everything chemical be possible?
As in, without a divine hand, would a iron rust, or carbon combine to form diamond?
Yes it would, it's all logic and quantum physics(which is still beyond just about everyone).

With THAT settled,
3)In a perfectly Godless world , would everything biological be possible?
Hah, here is where the shallow and the deep go their own ways!
No one can explain how the *poof it became coco crunch* theory happened with life on earth.
I'd like to believe in the iron-sulfide theory. Because it makes (almost) perfect sense.
I mean, it just does. It makes so much more sense than whatever it is I used to think.

Now, an off topic way to close this post,


There is nothing supernatural about the supernatural. The fact that there are still so many things out there left unexplained is proof that science, and great men of science are not done with their work.

2 comments:

Gabs said...

I hope you check back your old posts sometimes. Otherwise my comment here would be no more relevant than swiss cheese in Tanzania.

Anyway, I disagree with statements 1 & 2. I think you could go down to a more basic level, i.e. What is matter? Where did it come from?
Ditto with chemicals. What is an atom? Why are there negative and postive charges? What aren't there other kinds of charges? (And I'm not just talking about neutral charges here.) What are quarks for? How does everything fit together anyway?

In an alternate reality, there might be no such thing as physics (the concept as we know it, not the semantics of the word) and everything works according to the principles of... a chimp. Or maybe George Bush, though that's probably the same thing.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that the fundamental laws of science that govern this universe could just be implemented there by some divine being who gets a kick out of creating reality. Yeah, that's where my cultural religious background comes in. I'm Christian, btw.


On a perhaps unrelated side note where does gravity originate from? Why would something that just IS(i.e.having matter) attract other similar objects that also happen to just BE? I've always reckoned how the planets revolve around the sun as a complete mystery.

Gabs said...

Feel free to pick holes in my religion. ^^