Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Talking to myself - Chapter 1

Subhash 1. Before diving into any other topics, can we first establish the most basic rule, and not simply ignore it?

Subhash 2. And what rule is that?

Subhash 1. That humans are animals.

Sub 2. But how do we prove this?

Sub 1. The only obvious way is by observation and comparison.

Sub 2. Why not any other way?

Sub 1. My dear Subhash, you are beginning to dive into an unrelated topic. However, I will answer. It's simply because by observation and comparison we eliminate the need for any extravagant theories.

Sub 2. Although I do not yet see your point, I beg you, continue.

Sub 1. I will. Firstly. An animal breaths, eats, drinks, sleeps, defecates and reproduces. Am I right in saying this?

Sub 2. Quite, but you have used the word 'animal' and not anything more specific. However, you are right in saying that.

Sub 1. And humans do the same things as an animal?

Sub 2. Almost, but not quite.

Sub 1. How so?

Sub 2. Animals have brains, but not minds.

Sub 1. That is to be inferred. However, humans do breathe, eat, sleep, defecate and reproduce. Am I right?

Sub 2. Yes. And sometimes we see a lot more similarities. This, however, does not change the fact that we are almost completely different from animals in the way we think.

Sub 1. I would like to clarify something then. Animals, as in most animals move. Am I right?

Sub 2. If you mean moving from one spot to another, then yes, you are right.

Sub 1. And birds and certain insects have very unique ways of moving. Birds hardly use their legs to move. In fact, birds move so differently from most animals, you'd not be terribly stupid to think it was more than an animal. In fact, some cultures don't clasify birds as animals. That is until further examination, birds were found to function, in most ways, like most animals.

Sub 2. I see where you are going with this. But please continue.

Sub 1. So I conclude that even though some animals might do things differently, sometimes so different, it would appear to be beyond most other animals, upon further investigation you will find that there isn't anything that would make them more than just animals. Now I must bring up another question. Most animals think.

Sub 2. If you mean think, as in make decisions, then I cannot agree with you until you have proof.

Sub 1. Have you not noticed hesitation in animals? The second before an animal strikes, or runs away from danger? Surely this whole process cannot be automatic. Decisions in animals might be basic, but they are decisions.

Sub 2. I see. Animals think. That is to be inferred.

Sub 1. And humans think very differently from most animals.

Sub 2. I see your point now. You have no need to end that statement.

Sub 1. But I want to. I conclude that, just because humans think in a totally different way, it doesn't mean we are anything beyond animal.

Sub 2. That must be inferred. Now please, tell me why SHOULD we think this way? As in, shouldn't there be a reason for all this thinking, when we could happily spend it being barbaric and unreasonable. That is, after all, the natural way of things.

Sub 1. Are you implying that we should be natures hand in it's scheme of 'survival of the fittest?'

Sub 2. Not exactly, but you are catching my drift. I am implying that there should be a reason for ethics and morals and advancement in technology.

Sub 1. That is a topic for another night Subhash. This is only chapter 1, and we have many nights ahead of us.

Sub 2. Goodnight then. And thank you for your company.

Sub 1. Goodnight. I hope I can go to sleep after eating all those peanuts.

No comments: