Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Thanks for the comment Sean! Here's a post-reply.

I was hoping to try and explain the open mind bit in the next post(that's why I numbered it), so you may have to wait a while for me to put it into words and publish it.

Until very recently I thought it was a person's choice whether or not they believed in God. I even felt that atheist pride for choosing not to believe.

And yes, there IS an apparent conscious decision made by the individual. That I do not deny. But take into consideration some of the things we know.

Think about your childhood. Think of a memory from when you were a kid. Something that's vivid and almost touchable. It is apparent that you are that kid, because those are your memories. But scientifically speaking, not trace of matter from 5 year old Sean is part of 19 year old Sean. If you've got a science background, you'll know that cells die and are replaced.

I don't know what that implies to choice DIRECTLY, but indirectly, it shows that that which is true, may not necessarily be that which is apparent.

Gabriel Gan told me that my method of reasoning would mean destroying the meaning of the word 'choice' itself. Maybe that's why it's so hard to get into. *shrugs*

So back to your question. Is it a choice, when we choose to break free from religion?

Our subconscious self does not make decisions. It is more of a determinant of choice, for the same reason punching in '2 + 2 =' on a calculator produces '4'. What we take to be choices, are just natural reactions due to the ways in which we were wired.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I hate playing preacher. I prefer just expressing my formulas and getting people to try it out themselves. =)

And I think you probably made more sense than me!

No comments: