Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What is 'I'?

I wonder what it'll be like to die. It's so weird to think I'll end up in heaven or hell. Even being born again as something or someone else seems a little off to me. I cannot imagine me anywhere else than in my brain, controlling these limbs, writing these words, living with these people. All these memories should be mine. Stored in the brain that I occupy. I can't tell you what people believe the soul is, because the soul doesn't fit into my version of the universe. It's too vague. There's always a little vagary when it comes to words, but the word soul is in a realm of it's own. No pun intended.

Let me try explain my version of what most people would call the soul. In my world, the soul isn't constant, and isn't written. Chance has more influence over the development of the soul than God's grace (yes, there is a God in my universe, but he does not share power, because he is imaginary).

When I say the soul isn't constant, I mean there isn't a soul that can be stripped of it's roots in the mind. And since the mind is always taking in information and rethinking old events, it's always changing. And so is the soul.

The makings of a soul in my universe involves, firstly, the behavioral traits that it inherits from it's parents. This is totally random. There is little control in the natural world when it comes to the right set of genes. So the soul begins it's life out of a random collision. Much like how the universe began, right?

WRONG.

I actually don't know. Moving on.

Other than the random genes involved, there's also the random sequence of events that turn into memories. I don't have to explain how memories help shape people do I? I do. Ok. No matter how calm you're born, people change. The event's are always left to chance. What I mean can be explained this way:

No one chooses how they look, what sort of family they're born into, etc. Contrary to what most optimists think, 90 percent of the time, there is often no choice at all.

Choosing what you want to eat for lunch, for example, may seem like a choice. But that all depends on how much money you have, which depends on your upbringing, etc. It's not as simple as it sounds, but it's not very complicated either.

Consider this; if you clone a person, the clone never ends up being exactly the same as the person. Saying that you can't clone a soul is ridiculous though. The clone may still grow and develop a personality of its own.


There is little choice for us to make. And the 'soul' grows, just as it influences our choices.
We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us. See? We make judgments based on past experience, etc, but after the choice is in itself a new experience.

I'm scared. I don't like using the word 'soul'. In the next post I think I'll talk more about my 'earning it' rule.

3 comments:

Gabs said...

Ever thought about duality? The concept that souls and god are outside of our sensory perception. But I bet you wouldn't believe in that anyway, would you?

Unknown said...

Nah, I can't believe that. If it was beyond sensory perception, then it'd be beyond being objective. It would be a different sort of 'God' for everyone. And that's the sort of thinking I'm not into. I think.

Anyway.

If it's beyond sensory perception, then it should have no influence on things in the world we perceive to be real. And since it has no influence on my world, it doesn't matter at all if my soul is rotting or shining. Or if God's on my side.

Gabs said...

An Ayn Randist huh. IMHO, you can't say with absolute truth that unicorns don't exist. Unless you've walked outside your house and peeked into the secondary forest and looked a good long while until you can say with a P = X > 0.99 that unicorns don't exist. But what if everyone else says they can see unicorns? Makes you feel left out doesn't it?

As for me, I'm gonna keep searching for unicorns. Maybe I've find a stag.